Experienced Java and Scala data developer with a mathematical background and a passion for simple well-designed code, constant refactoring and challenging the status quo.
SoundCloud (Oct 2015 - Present), Berlin
Senior Software Engineer (Data Team)
- High-performance distributed data transport, storage and processing (Java 8, Kafka, HDFS, Hadoop, Crunch).
- Developer tooling and communications.
Spotify (Feb 2013 - Feb 2015), Stockholm
Senior Data Engineer
- Creating infrastructure to improve the developer experience for engineers and analysts who use data to drive new products and make informed decisions, including migrating the data development platform from Python over Hadoop streaming to native JVM code based on the Apache Crunch framework (Java, Scala, Hadoop, Python, Hive, Pig)
Last.fm (Aug 2011 - Feb 2013), London
Java Developer, Data Team
- Maintainance and enhancement of existing company-wide statistics gathering and presentation software (Java, SQL, shell scripting, PHP).
- Data extraction, interpretation and visualisation (Hive, R, GraphViz, Flot, Gephi)
- Prototyping new data services for user statistics and radio playlisting (Python + Flask)
IPL Information Processing Limited (Oct 2010 - Jul 2011), Bath
- Improving test coverage on large public-sector resource management system (C#, NUnit)
- Development of internal staff management tools (C#, ASP.NET, SQL)
- Error logging and input validation implementation for online banking platform (C#, ASP.NET)
- Software design verification for aviation engineering
- Development of new training materials for future graduate engineers (Java, JUnit, JMock)
Morgan Stanley (Jul 2008 - Jun 2009), London
Software Developer (Industrial Placement)
Assorted small projects using Java, C#, ASP.NET and SQL, with lots of SOAP messaging going between them all (JSON over HTTP wasn't yet fashionable at the time)
University of Bath (Sept 2006 - Jun 2010)
BSc Mathematics, upper second class honours
A mix of pure and applied modules including Algebraic Structures, Mathematical Biology, Complex Analysis, Digital Signal Processing, Category Theory and Vector Calculus.
Open source projects
Active contributor and committer to the Apache Crunch project
See my separate Music Portfolio
Cycling, long-distance running, swimming, triathlon, hiking, skiing